Why Habit Trackers and Journaling are Key to Reaching your Goals
Habit tracking is a form of journaling, although we believe them to be slightly different. Both are as important as the other and should be used together to make sure you are reaching your goals! These two key elements are vital in an age of business, multi-tasking and constant distraction. Habit tracking and journaling could quite simply change your life!
1. Habit trackers
There is a direct correlation between good habits and reaching your goals. Habit trackers allow you to monitor your small progressive steps day by day, which eventually leads to great success. It takes 21 days to create a habit, 66 days for your new habit to become automatic and 90 days to make it a part of your lifestyle. You may think that you can simply just remember your new habits, but as the days and weeks go on, you’ll soon forget some of them along the way. Did you know that 43% of our daily actions are simply just habits we’ve got used to doing over time, without even thinking about them? We are constantly playing out habits, even when thinking of something else. An action repeated enough times over an extended period of time will become a habit and your habit tracker will help turn your goals into reality, without you having to think about it too much.
Three big benefits of habit trackers:
- It helps you work towards specific and clear long-term goals.
- It’s a constant reminder that you are building a habit that you can be proud of and that will have a positive impact on your life.
- It makes it clear that all your goals are tangible, which will motivate you to reach that goal no matter what.
How to start tracking your habits:
We recommend writing down your habits in your diary, or tracking them on the LEAN App. The latter is a much easier approach as it will save you loads of time. The LEAN App provides you with a personalized habit tracker where you can set your habits/goals, and be specific about how many times per day, or week you’d like to commit to. There is also an option to receive a push notification so you can be reminded of this habit. Be specific with your habits. For example, if you are wanting to drink more water, aim for a specific amount. Ie. Drink 2 liters of water per day. The more specific you are with your new habits, the better!
There is a lot of hype around journaling and we can’t believe the hype didn’t start sooner! The therapeutic potential of reflective writing has been around since the 1960’s and has proven to be one of the most effective ways of organization, gaining focus and perspective. Journaling provides you with a personal space of freedom and you don’t need to be a writer to do it. Think of journaling more like a diary of thoughts, feelings and ideas. It’s a great way to release stress too. Journaling helps prioritize problems, fears and concerts; providing you with an opportunity for positive self-talk and identifying how to better improve your self-confidence and life. Keeping a journal helps you create order in what may seem like a chaotic time.
How to start journaling:
- Keep it simple. Start by asking yourself questions like:
How am I feeling?
What made me happy today?
What is bothering me?
What can I do to make this day better?
What has been on my mind lately?
What am I grateful for today?
Start by writing down the first few words or sentences that pop to mind. As time goes by you’ll become more open and honest with yourself, and writing will become easier.
- Try to write every day. Set a time each day to write out your thoughts and try to stick to a specific time. Set a habit reminder on the LEAN App for your journaling time and turn on the push notifications so you don’t have to remember. Soon journaling will become a habit too!
- Make it your own. There is no right or wrong when it comes to journaling. Write down whatever feels right for you. Don’t worry about structure, spelling mistakes or what other people might think. This is your personal space so use it freely.
- Create a safe space. This is a time for you to grab a cup of tea, get cozy and de-stress. Look forward to your journaling time and remember that you’re doing something good for yourself.
You have already taken the first step by just reading this. Now it’s time to really start implementing these essential tools so that you can level up. We are so excited about your journey moving forward. Keep in mind that the journey is more important than the destination so enjoy every single step you take to reaching your goals! Consistent small wins = success! You’ve got this!